Myths and Realities
A joint Academy / British Library series of social science discussions on matters of topical interest
The Myths & Realities series of public events has brought serious debate about current issues facing our society to the general public. Experts from within and without academic life are brought together to bring sense to topical debate and uncover the myths so often paraded as fact in everyday discourse and lay out the realities of the situations.
Each debate includes a discussion between a panel of experts, with an opportunity for questions from the floor afterwards.
Podcasts and slides of the events are available on the British Library website and can be reached by clicking on the purple links below.
The Myths and Realities Series
- Migration and Integration (15-0-09)
- Making Sense of Risk (18-11-09)
- Crime and Punishment in the 21st Century (8-2-10)
- Are we what we eat?(9-3-10)
- Educational Standards: Not as good as in my day? (8-9-10)
- We're all middle class now, aren't we? (1-11-10)
- A Property-owning democracy: fact or fiction? (1-2-11) Podcast coming soon
- Manufacturing matters, doesn't it? (2-3-11)
- Who benefits from Benefits? (18-5-11)