BSA Philip Abrams Memorial Prize 2018 – Call for Nominations
9 November 2017
Nominations are now being sought for the BSA Philip Abrams Memorial (PAM) Prize 2018.
The PAM prize is awarded to the best first and sole-authored book within the discipline of sociology published between 1st December 2016 and 30th November 2017. The winner of the PAM Prize is awarded a monetary prize of £1,000 plus one year’s free subscription to ‘The Sociological Review’ published by SAGE Publications. The winner also receives an invitation to the BSA 2018 Annual Conference (to be held at Northumbria University in April), with free conference registration, accommodation and travel (within the UK).
Closing date for 2018 entries is Friday 1st December 2017. For more information on the nomination process, please visit https://www.britsoc.co.uk/opportunities/bsa-philip-abrams-memorial-prize or you can contact the BSA’s Margaret Luke by email: [email protected] or by phoning 0191 383 0839.
We look forward to receiving your nominations.
The general criteria for eligibility are as follows:
- Nominated authors must be current, fully paid-up, members of the BSA.
- Nominated authors must be:
- a UK Citizen, Permanent or a Temporary Resident of the UK formally affiliated to a UK institution or
- a UK citizen or resident based abroad, but still formally affiliated to a UK institution or
- Anyone currently formally affiliated to a UK academic institution for at least the last 3 years which can include a period of postgraduate study
- Nominated authors should be within the first seven years (or full-time equivalent) since starting their first academic post within the discipline of sociology.
- The nominated book must be the author’s first monograph. If the author has previously co-authored a monograph, they are not eligible for the prize. If the author has previously edited or co-edited a book, they are still eligible.
- The nominated book must be a sole-authored book.
- The nominated book should be concerned with the discipline of sociology.
- There is an expectation that the author has observed the contents of the BSA’s Authorship Guidelines for Academic Papers (adopted April 2001).
- Nominations should comprise the official nomination form (duly completed), a brief curriculum vitae of the author, and four copies of the nominated book.