In partnership with the British Academy, the Royal Academy of Engineering and the Royal Society (‘the Academies’), the APEX award (Academies Partnership in Supporting Excellence in Cross-disciplinary research award) scheme offers established independent researchers, with a strong track record in their respective area, an exciting opportunity to pursue genuine interdisciplinary and curiosity-driven research to benefit wider society.
The objectives of this scheme are to:
- support outstanding interdisciplinary research which is unlikely to be supported through conventional funding programmes
- promote collaboration across disciplines, with a particular emphasis on the boundary between science and engineering and the social sciences and humanities
- support researchers with an outstanding track record, in developing their research in a new direction through collaboration with partners from other disciplines
- enable outstanding researchers to focus on advancing their innovative research through seed funding.
Am I eligible to apply?
Applications should be within the remit of more than one of the Academies.
You can apply for this scheme if you are:
- an exceptional researcher with a strong track record as an established independent researcher.
- based at a UK University or not-for-profit research institution for at least the duration of the project.
Applicants will be expected to collaborate with a research partner from a different discipline from their own or a different university in the UK.
Before applying, please ensure that you meet all the eligibility requirements, which are explained in the scheme notes. Please also refer to the FAQ for further guidance.
What is the scheme’s value and duration?
This scheme provides:
- an award of up to £100,000 to fund staff costs of which no more than 25% may be used for associated research costs.
- This can include consumables, equipment, collaborative travel expenses
- Costs of a teaching replacement to relieve the applicant and/or collaborator from some of their teaching and administrative duties
- Grants can be held for up to 24 months.
Note, requests for any other salary costs e.g. for research assistants, post-docs or studentships etc. cannot be included in the application. Note that awards under this scheme will not pay indirect and estate costs.
All awards must start between 01 September 2017 and 01 November 2017.
What is the application process?
Applications should be submitted through the Royal Society’s electronic grant application system (e-GAP2). Applications will be peer-reviewed and assessed by a cross-disciplinary panel with broad ranging expertise drawn from the fellowship of all three Academies.
Further details about the award, including information on how to apply and the assessment criteria, can be found in the scheme notes.
More information here