Job advert: BAM Head of Events and Operations
October 11, 2018
Job Title: Head of Events and Operations
Reports to: CEO
Location: Euston Road, London, with regular overnight stays and travelling throughout the UK.
Effective Date: October 2018
Salary: £45,128 – £50,355 depending on experience
This is a demanding role which requires specific leadership and strategic abilities. The jobholder will take a strategic role in the leadership and management of Events to ensure the delivery of the Academy’s objectives now and in the future. The job holder will inspire, develop and implement an ambitious, innovative and comprehensive plan to develop the portfolio of services and ensure excellence in the delivery of services we already offer to our members. Additionally, the jobholder will provide reports for the Board of Trustees and will be expected to attend Board meetings regularly. The role holder will also line manage the events team.
Key Accountabilities and Duties
- Understand and embody BAM’s business values and conduct everyday business tasks with these in mind.
- Contribute directly to the visioning, development, and preparation of the wider strategic Business Plan, with the CEO. Support and guide the overall direction of BAM by offering realistic and focussed advice to ensure maximum revenue, and growth whilst balancing contingencies appropriately.
- Oversee, establish and manage the Events plan, making optimal use of all available resources, and aligning it with the overall wider business strategy. Communicate this plan regularly and effectively across the organisation, to the team, and also the Executive Committee when required.
- Act as the Event Lead for BAM’s International Conference. Oversee all aspects of the Event, including, delegate management, conference tracks, workshops and symposia, fringe events, a major Gala Dinner and high-level keynotes, alongside a range of established board and committee meetings.
- Negotiate and liaise with stakeholders, suppliers, and host universities’ conference chair and committees, to establish a clear and realistic organisational plan, and oversee follow through for implementation.
- Ensure effective delegation of implementation plans across stakeholders and team alike, ensuring that plans are monitored, that risks and issues are regularly communicated across the team and addressed.
- Act as BAM’s Communications Lead by ensuring that all events which are run in conjunction with our members, stakeholders and partners, are properly supported, promoted and recorded.
- Take the lead on strategic developments in using new technology to support our core work.
- Act as the first point of contact for all Office operational matters, including managing supplier and service contracts (phones, IT, lighting, website, CRM etc) in order to ensure the smooth running of all our functions and to provide excellent services to our membership. Assist the CEO with management of the employee life-cycle from effectively recruiting and inducting new employees, and seeking appropriate budgetary signoff; support utilising the best recruitment methods, through to managing all aspects of employee performance.
- Remain committed to self-improvement by conducting self-appraisals after all relevant unit tasks, and assess strengths and weaknesses and address these accordingly. Demonstrate a commitment to improvement by maintaining and developing current skill set.
- Graduate with a good working knowledge of the world of Higher Education.
- Ten years’ experience of working as an events professional, with extensive experience working within academic conferences.
- Demonstrable knowledge of project management techniques, with a relevant qualification.
- Demonstrable high level interpersonal skills, able to forge and sustain excellent working relationships with others at all levels.
- Demonstrable experience of dealing with calls for tenders, budget planning and contract negotiation.
- Demonstrable experience of communications techniques including press releases, website publication, and social media.
- Demonstrable team management and organisational skills.
- Extensive knowledge of relevant technologies.
- Understanding of Microsoft Office Suite (Word and Excel) to intermediate level.
To apply for this role, please send a CV and covering letter outlining how you meet the criteria, plus details of two referees (one of whom must be your current or most recent line manager), to the CEO, Madeleine Barrows (firstname.lastname@example.org) by noon on 31st October 2018. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview in London during November.
If you would like to have an informal chat about any aspects of the role, please download the full job description or contact Madeleine by the email address above to arrange a telephone call, or call the BAM office on 020 7383 770.