Michael Batty FAcSS and Wei Yang FAcSS form the Digital Task Force for Planning
20 April 2021
An independent expert panel – the Digital Task Force for Planning has been formed by a group of influential thought leaders across a broad spectrum relating to planning and digital technology. www.digital4planning.com
The Task Force is chaired by Professor Michael Batty CBE FRS FBA FAcSS FRTPI, Chairman of the Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis (CASA) in the Bartlett School at University College London (UCL). Dr Wei Yang FAcSS FRTPI, the Royal Town Planning Institute President for 2021 is the Co-chair.
Five other Fellows of the Academy are also members of the Task Force:
- Sir Alan Wilson FRS FBA FAcSS, Director of Special Projects, The Alan Turing Institute, and Honorary Professor, University College London.
- Janice Morphet FAcSS FRTPI, Visiting Professor in the Bartlett School of Planning at University College London.
- Bridget Rosewell CBE FAcSS FICE, Commissioner for the National Infrastructure Commission, and Chair of the Independent Review into Planning Appeal Inquiries.
- Cecilia Wong FAcSS FRTPI, Professor of Spatial Planning and Director of the Spatial Policy & Analysis Lab at the University of Manchester, Chair of the UK2021 Research Excellent Framework’s ‘Architecture, Built Environment and Planning’ sub-panel.
- Mark Tewdwr-Jones FAcSS FRTPI, Bartlett Professor of Cities and Regions, Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis, University College London.
The mission of the Task Force is to promote an integrated digitally informed approach of Town & Country Planning. The Task Force will examine how the planning profession and its education can embrace the digital revolution in a more thorough and proactive way to empower planners with new skills to tackle the grand challenges of our times for public interest.
To raise the awareness, identify the needs, and urge actions, the Task Force aims to deliver a ROADMAP for the future of planning in the digital domain within an initial one-year timescale.