New Year Honours for Academicians
December 31, 2013
The Academy congratulates the following Academicians for their public honours:
Professor Celia Hoyles OBE AcSS is made DBE for services to Education
Professor Ash Amin AcSS is created CBE for services to social science
Emeritus Professor Tony Crook AcSS, founder chair of the Campaign Board and current member of Council, is created CBE for services to housing and charitable governance
Professor W Robert Lee AcSS is created MBE for services to the Restoration of Birkenhead Park, and to the Community in Birkenhead, Merseyside.
Ceridwen Roberts AcSS, a former member of Council and a current member of the Campaign Board, is created OBE for services to social science
Social scientists were well represented in the 2014 New Year’s Honours list.
Among those given knighthoods are:
- Richard Blundell, Professor of Political Economy at UCL and Director of the ESRC Centre for the Micro-Economic Analysis of Public Policy, for services to economics and social science.
Among those made Dames are:
- Professor Celia Hoyles, OBE AcSS, formerly Director, National Centre for Excellence in Teaching Mathematics, for services to education.
- Shirley Pearce, former Vice-Chancellor at Loughborough University and a psychologist, for services to higher education.
Among those created CBE are:
- Ash Amin AcSS, Chair in Geography at the University of Cambridge, for services to social science;
- John Kay, Supernumerary Fellow in Economics at St John’s College, University of Oxford, for services to economics;
- Stephen Scott, Director of the National Academy for Parenting Research, for services to families.
Among those created OBE are:
- Ruth Jones, researcher and consultant in the Department of Applied Social Sciences, University of Worcester, for services to victims of domestic and sexual violence;
- Sonia Livingston, Professor in the Department of Media and Communications at the London School of Economics, for services to children and child internet safety;
- Mary McColgan, Professor of Social Work at the University of Ulster, for services to the social care sector in Northern Ireland;
- Elizabeth Rouse, former Head of the London College of Communication and Deputy Rector at the University of the Arts, London, for services to higher education.
Among those created MBE are:
- Peter Lansley, Professor Emeritus of Construction Management at the University of Reading, for services to research into ageing and well-being of older people.
- Professor W Robert Lee AcSS, for services to the Restoration of Birkenhead Park, and to the Community in Birkenhead, Merseyside.