Open call: Academy seeks new committee members
30 October 2018
Would you like to get more involved in the running of the Academy of Social Sciences?
We’re currently seeking new members for two of our key committees – Nominations and Publications. In each case, we’re looking for individuals with an enthusiasm for the Academy and a willingness to contribute at committee meetings and beyond. There are also some specific requirements for both committees, as set out below.
We actively encourage applications from practitioners, early/mid-career researchers, women, those with a disability and those from a black or ethnic minority background to ensure that our committees reflect the rich diversity of UK social science.
Nominations Committee (six vacancies)
Chair: Professor Jane Millar OBE FAcSS FBA
- Ability to demonstrate a broad understanding of social sciences and what constitutes eminence and impact
- All Nominations Committee members must be Fellows of the Academy
Publications Committee (two vacancies)
Chair: Professor Malcolm Johnson FAcSS
- Experience of journal editing and publications management
- IT and social media expertise
- Knowledge of journals publishing markets and of publications that influence the REF
- An interest in developing the Academy’s wider publishing strategy and practice
Appointments are for an initial three years, with the potential to renew for another three years. Committee members are unremunerated, but travel and related expenses for twice-yearly committee meetings in London are paid.
The application procedure is to email Kate at the address above, setting out which committee you’re interested in, the basis for your interest in the role, relevant experience and what you’d hope to bring to the role. Appointments are made by the Committee Chair and the Executive Director.
This is an open call: please pass on as far and wide as you are able.
Applications close on Friday 21st December 2018