The Academy congratulates all Fellows and other social scientists whose contribution to the nation has been recognised in the New Year’s Honours list. In particular we note:
- Professor Sir Julian Le Grand FAcSS, Richard Titmuss professor of social policy at the London School of Economics, for services to social science and public service.
- Professor Dame Teresa Rees FAcSS, professor of social science at Cardiff University, for services to social sciences.
- Professor Sir Nigel Thrift FAcSS, vice-chancellor of the University of Warwick, for services to higher education.
- Professor Heather Joshi CBE FAcSS emeritus professor of economic and developmental demography at the UCL Institute of Education, for services to longitudinal and women’s studies.
- Professor Paul Webley CBE FAcSS, director of Soas, University of London, for services to higher education.
- Profesor Iram Siraj OBE FAcSS, professor of early childhood education at UCL Institute of Education, for services to education.
- Professor Susan Hallam MBE FAcSS, emerita professor of education and music psychology at UCL Institute of Education, for services to music education.
Other social scientists who have been recognised include:
- Peter Rees CBE, professor of places and city planning at University College London, for services to architecture and town planning
- Bill Whyte CBE, professor of social work studies in criminal and youth justice at the University of Edinburgh, for services to youth justice in Scotland.
- Fiona Murray CBE, professor of entrepreneurship at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, for services to entrepreneurship and innovation.
- Diane Birch OBE, professor of law at the University of Nottingham, for services to higher education.
- Joan Hunt OBE, honorary professor at Cardiff Law School, for services to children.
- Uduak Archibong MBE, professor of diversity at the University of Bradford, for services to higher education and equality.
- Jan Burns MBE, head of the School of Psychology, Politics and Sociology at Canterbury Christ Church University, for services to people with intellectual disabilities.
- Katharine Heron MBE, professor of architecture at the University of Westminster, for services to architecture and higher education.
- Michael Jubb MBE, director at the Research Information Network, for services to the social sciences.
- Elizabeth Trail BEM, lecturer at Bishop Barham University College, for education services in Uganda.