Vacancy – Chief Secretary (P/T)
January 2, 2018
Chief Secretary (P/T)
The Academy of Social Sciences and its Campaign for Social Science
The Academy of Social Sciences is the national academy of academics, learned societies and practitioners in the social sciences. Its mission is to promote social science in the UK for the public benefit. It is composed of around 1200 individual Fellows, 43 member Learned Societies, and a number of affiliates, together representing nearly 90,000 social scientists.
The Academy sponsors the Campaign for Social Science, which was launched in 2011 to promote social science to UK Governments and the wider public.
The Academy legally is a charitable incorporated company and falls within the supervision requirements of both the Registrar of Companies and the Charity Commission.
A Chief Secretary is now required on a part time, 4 days a week, basis.
The role principally is to act as the Secretary to the Academy’s Council and all its various committees. The requirement is to arrange meetings, agree Agendas, liaise with committee members, to take the Minutes of meetings and pursue follow up items.
In addition, the Secretary ensures compliance with the various external statutory and good governance requirements on the Academy. This includes drafting the Directors Report of activities for the statutory Annual Report and Accounts.
A further key feature of the role is to act as the point of liaison with the Academy’s member learned societies; as well as to compile and draft the Academy’s monthly eBulletin to all its members.
The Secretary also oversees the entire nominations process for the conferment of Fellowships; and undertakes similar ad hoc tasks as required.
This is an exciting and varied role working at the very heart of the Academy. There is a need for frequent engagement with senior people both within and outside the Academy.
The role reports to the Executive Director and works alongside the Head of Policy, the Senior Operations Manager and the Campaign Manager, as well as other members of the small Secretariat team, in a warm, friendly and flexible office environment.
The key competencies required for the role are:
- A very high standard of written English
- Good judgement shown in an ability to discern key points of a discussion and summarise it succinctly
- Good attention to detail
- Awareness of legal requirements for charitable companies
- Awareness of good governance requirements
- Diplomacy and good interpersonal skills
- Time management skills and the ability to juggle sometimes competing priorities
In addition, the following qualifications and experiences are desirable:
- Must be a graduate with a good degree. A degree in one of the social science disciplines would be desirable, but is not essential.
- A Chartered Secretary qualification would be an advantage, but is not essential.
- A background in management, the law or business would also be an advantage, but is not essential.
- Maturity and awareness of how the world works at the senior level
- A willingness to travel very occasionally for specific events / meetings.
Salary: £20,400 – £27,200 (FTE £34,000) pro rata + benefits including pension and generous holiday allowance
Hours: 21 – 28, flexible across 3 – 4 days. Core office hours 10.30-4pm Monday-Friday.
The Academy Office is located in central London (EC2), close to many transport links
Please forward a CV and tailored letter of application detailing your interest in the role, as well as experience and skills relevant to the above range of responsibilities, to [email protected] by 9am Monday 29th January 2017.
If you have any questions about the role or application process please contact Andrew Muckle on 0207 682 4662.
Please apply as soon as you can as we may contact candidates before the deadline.