We’re hiring! Academy / Campaign is looking for a Communications Manager
April 17, 2018
A Communications Manager, who understands and identifies with communicating social science evidence, is needed for the Academy of Social Sciences and its Campaign for Social Science.
You’ll be managing the Academy and Campaign’s communications, making sure that our role to be the voice of the social sciences in the UK for the public benefit results in us being a clear and trusted voice to our various audiences.
- understand that communicating social science evidence requires a different approach from communicating humanitarian based charitable activities.
- have had experience of devising overall communications strategies and of monitoring outcomes.
- be able to segment and identify relevant target audiences with their own communications engagement activities
be adept at framing messages using multi channels for communications and engagement.
- have a record of forming and retaining good relationships with key influencers in the media.
Working with our small, friendly team, you’ll design and carry out our communications strategy, including:
- Pro-actively managing media profile and presence, identifying opportunities for engagement and designing communications plans
- Drafting and pitching press releases, op-eds, and web content
- The day to day management of communications channels, including website updates and multiple social media accounts (twitter, Facebook, YouTube)
- Working with policy team on public comments, as well as summarising research and publications for public dissemination
- Helping organise and manage events, including logistics, marketing and press around launches and lectures in Westminster and at Academy offices
- Assisting in project managing, editing, and pitching larger-scale publication projects such as our Making the Case series and flagship reports such the Health of People
- Supporting public affairs engagement, including communicating effectively across wide range of audiences, as well as managing and building relationships with journalists and others to promote Academy and Campaign work
- Act as editor of our News focus blog, commissioning and editing articles from researchers and experts on topical social science issues
- Leading on audio-visual materials, including producing videos, photos, podcasts of events and other Academy activities
- Overseeing postal and electronic mailouts
- An understanding of social science, perhaps from a degree in one of the social science disciplines
- An understanding of social science evidence and reliability
- A good communicator with excellent command of spoken and written English
- Strong project management skills
- Close attention to detail
- Strong inter-personal skills
- Strategic thinker
- IT and social media literate
- Web editing skills in WordPress CMS
- Event management
- The Higher Education sector, particularly Higher Education policy
- Audio/video editing and production
About the Academy and Campaign
The Academy of Social Sciences is the national academy of academics, learned societies and practitioners in the social sciences. Its Campaign for Social Science was founded by the Academy in 2011 to promote the public understanding and use of social science evidence, especially to policymaker audiences.
The Academy team is small and friendly and there is some flexibility in how the role can be undertaken.
If you have any questions about the role, please get in touch with Andrew Muckle, Senior Operations Manager, on [email protected].
Hours: 4 days a week
Salary: £35,000pa pro rata (£28,000pa for four days a week)
Location: City of London EC2A. Some flexibility.
To apply: please forward your CV, with a formal covering letter explaining what you’ll bring to the role, to [email protected] no later than 1st May 2018