The objectives of the Academy are:
- to promote excellence in and encourage the advancement of social science in the UK through research, education and service to the community
- to support its constituent Learned Societies and to encourage collaboration to promote interdisciplinary approaches to social science
- to represent, in conjunction with the constituent Learned Societies, the interests of social science in the UK to national and local government; research, teaching and funding bodies and agencies; private sector companies and public sector agencies
- to comment as appropriate on national needs and priorities in social science
- to encourage international co-operation in the advancement of social science
- to disseminate information about social science and what it contributes to society, to the general public and to educational institutions
- to recognise and celebrate outstanding contributions of individual social scientists.